Friday, September 10, 2004

Good luck??

"Bring us to a place where we can see a good sunset."

"O.k. We take you to Phnom Bakheng."

We were oozing with excitement. After having our photos taken for the 3 days pass, we were so eager to use it. Hey, it was going to be our very first temple visit. Our motorbikes zoomed on and passed Angkor Wat. Then, we saw the crowd. Hopping out from our bikes, we looked to the left and saw the mini hill.

"The temple is above the hill."

"Oh, o.k."

"We'll wait for you here. Good luck!"

Hmm... funny guy... wishing us good luck. Whatever for?

We trotted towards the foothill, showed the temple guards our pass and started the journey upwards.

This can't be that bad.

Oh yes, it was. We were extremely unfit. Not even halfway up, we were puffing and groaning. The hill was steep. It was rocky. There was no easy and well worn pathway. Selfishly, we found consolation in the huffings and puffings of other tourists.

Just a little bit more. The temple is just at the top of this hill.

Finally I reached the top. I beamed with joy. I congratulated myself on my success. But that was before I looked forward and saw...



I laughed hysterically to myself.

So that's what the good luck was all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home